25.3.07

Day 122 (week 25): HotCake

I hate to have to admit this today but I guess if this blog’s going to mean anything then I can’t very much leave it out. I received a visit from my mother to Chambers. In itself, that sounds pretty normal. But not when she arrives with a hot cake late afternoon and tells the whole clerks’ room that she’s worried that I’ve been working a little too hard and thought that this might cheer me up. Is she mad! I couldn’t have been more mortified when I was called out of a conference with the Boss to greet her. Worse still, OldSmoothie was around and spotted the comedy potential at my expense and so invited her to Chambers’ tea “where everyone can perhaps have a taste of your wonderful culinary skills”. No! Please! Just leave me alone and let me go and hide in the farthest corner of the library.

No such luck and so Chambers were merrily entertained by my mother for the whole of tea regaling the usual motherly embarrassing stories. Worse still, everyone now knows that I continue to live at home. Despite the fact that this is due to Chambers paying me a pittance for my coffee-making skills, it is still something which I had hoped to keep hidden under my little horse hair wig.

On a more positive note, the emails between Ginny and TopFirst are now becoming more regular. However, they’re also starting to get just a little flirty, flirty which is definitely not my bag I can tell you. In fact let’s just not go there. But this is war and in a conflict there are different rules. Well, no rules, truth be told.

And I have an appointment with the bank next week.

5 comments:

hw said...

i feel for you babyb. we've all had something like that happen...havn't we?

Anonymous said...

nice one. my mum once turned up at my work drinks and started telling those sort of stories!

spp said...

hot cake, sounds just the ticket for a Monday...

Anonymous said...

just discovered your blog. it's brilliant! got it on an email which was being passed around the office

Anonymous said...

this is hilarious. absolutely inspired!